Monday, November 4, 2013

Day 4

As I was riding today my first thought was, I was very grateful for my gore bike wear winter gloves. It was 39 degrees at 10 am when I took off and my hands were so nice and warm, was really appreciating those (thank you Rick).
As I went though I was thinking about how much I love to be on my bike, how easy it is for me. It was in 2007 my ex encouraged me to start road biking, so we bought a bike and I signed up for the woman's rides here in town. This experience with about 30 other woman, doing something new and slightly scary, was amazing. I quickly made friends with a gal of comparable skill, and we continued to bike together after. She had just gone through a really hard divorce, we'd ride and talk, and she soon intruduced me to some other amazing women, the ladies that I now call my best friends. It's amazing how people are put into our lives for a reason, I would need these ladies very much in the coming years.
Cycling essentially saved me from the  stress I was experiencing with my ex at that time, ironically part of that stress involved a woman I had signed up for the woman's rides with, but I won't go into that.  I would bike, think, clear my head, get my heart rate up, by the time I came home in time to get the kids from school, life didn't feel as chaotic, and I slept much better.   In that time I was also able to see the beauty that surrounds us here, it was quite the experience.
I am so glad whatever the circumstances were that lead me to cycling in my late twenties. I had no idea how good I could be at it, just that I enjoyed it. It was a bonus to be doing something good for myself, and to end up being quite good at it, plus it brought so many new wonderful people to my life.
So along with my awesome gloves today I was grateful for embracing new experiences. Going out of the comfort zone, with an open mind!

No comments: