Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy is the Heart

Finally getting to my Christmas post. Four Christmas's ago (2010) I spent in Hawaii with my kids, they were 13 and 8, I was newly single, scared and confused. I remember waking up that Christmas morning with a heaviness, not because my ex wasn't there, but in two Christmas's (2012) I would have to wake up for the first time on a Christmas morning without my kids. This is the reality of divorce, the reality forced upon some because of others "needs" . THIS broke my heart that morning, looking at my kids, the excitement that Christmas had arrived, messy bed heads, in jammies, innocent, pure excitement. This is my favorite day, to be a part of with my kids. Well last year came and went and I survived, we spent 11 days prior to Christmas in Hawaii just being together, for the first time in their 10 and 15 years I wasn't there when they woke up that Christmas morning. People say you can make Christmas whenever, that is only part true, you do what you need to because you have to, but that day will still arrive and it will still hurt.
I guess in a way (being the divorce rate in this country for first marriages is 50%), I am lucky to have gotten to wake-up for 10 and 15 years every Christmas morning with them. What I couldn't have imagined then, is that possibly one of my best Christmas's was yet to come.
This Christmas goes down as one of my favorites. It was perfect, it wasn't grand and filled with greed. It was a relaxed and wonderful day spent dedicated to my family. It is amazing having Rick be a part of our little family (I may add, he was also the first one up ;) ) the four of us sitting by the fire all cozy taking our time opening sockings and gifts and appreciating the thoughtfulness that went into each, we lounged, talked and laughed, just the four of us. That afternoon, we all cooked and prepared our dinner for the family together (my son is now a master pigs in a blanket chef), my family came over and we spent the next six hours enjoying each other. It was the most relaxed wonderful Christmas ever! You could feel the energy, the appreciation of one another and having that time. My 86 year old Grandmother was with us, and as sad as it is, I know our years all together are limited, but it makes my heart happy that we realize this and take the time to be together on these special days.
I would've thought my best Christmas's would've been spent while I was married, but this is not the case. Those were stressful years, spent trying to cram both families time in, running from place to place and never devoting enough time to anyone.
With Ricks family taking the time to be together at Thanksgiving and me getting the time with my family at Christmas, truly makes my heart happy. The kids and I talked about what a great year it was, they got amazing gifts (my parents have a tendency to really spoil them), but it wasn't about that, it was the relaxed comforting time spent with family.
The completion of assembling the Christmas present
My gorgeous little miss all dressed up for the day
In her element holding Emmie

The annual gift from my dad to my son, a Barbie
 
 

No comments: