Monday, August 6, 2012

Balance

This is the first time in the last couple years I feel a balance between my family life and work.  It has truly been one of my favorite summers yet.  In part because my kids are at work with me in the mornings.  Luke has had cross country at 7 (which happens to be across the street from the hospital) and I am not ok with Lo staying home alone yet, so I wake them up at 6, we're in the car at 6:15 and opening up the shop together at 6:30.  One it's a huge help in the morning and two it's fun to see your kids be responsible and care about the business.  Luke heads off to run from 7-9 and in that time Lo helps  do odds and end jobs, re-stocks as needed.  She has a stool she sits at behind the counter and when she's not reading and drinking her morning hot cocoa, she's chatting with the customers.   I have LOVED being able to spend that time with them.  It's hard in the summer to know they are out of school and you still have to work, but this is the best of both worlds.  Props to how amazing my kids are too, not once this summer have they complained about getting up.  They know this is our only option and go with it.
That has given me the most peace, as well as taking more time off to do the things they have wanted to do, and the things I have wanted to do with them.  We head off to one more final vacation, then I think we are ready to embrace the school year!

1 comment:

Becky said...

As a frequent JB Steamers flyer, I can say that I have really enjoyed my morning chats with Lo and getting to know her better. She totally understands my plants vs. zombies addiction!