Friday, August 17, 2012

It's Working

As a parent, what I want most at the end of the days is for my kids to remember the experiences we shared and the time spent with them.  Today Lo had a birthday party in Chelan from 1-4, which is a slight inconvenience just in the sense of getting her up there and having to hang out for 3 hours, but the kids and I loaded up, Luke had nothing going on and chose to come.  He's a funny, amazing kid.  I thoroughly enjoy just killing time with him.  I am aware that next summer will be very different, he will be working and driving, and time out of work will be spent with friends, it saddens me, but also makes me glad I have taken advantage of this summer.
The really great thing happened on the drive home, we are all chatting and talking about where we want to go Presidents Weekend, when our trip to SF came up.  He jokingly reminded me I made them walk from the Embarcadero to the Golden Gate and across and back (I have no idea how far it was, likely at least 10 miles), but then we talked about how we got to see the Marina (my favorite area), the  Presidio, and so on until it came down to, we wouldn't have had this memory if we hadn't walked.  Of course that lead to them talking about me getting lost in Chicago and how we saw all the sights the first day......these are the things I want them to remember fondly.
These moments are precious to me.  Time with them, talking, remembering, and getting excited for whats yet to come. 
When I got divorced I worried I wouldn't be able to give them enough as one parent.  My friends assured me, yes.  I believe I am doing it!  It doesn't make the let down they experience from their Dad hurt any less for me, but that's because I don't understand not wanting these moments.  But I have smart kids, they adapt and adjust.  They know what to expect, or not expect of him, and move on.  It enables me to move on, and count my blessings for extra time with them, and amazing family and friends that lend there support and guidance to us!

No comments: