Sunday, October 7, 2012

Fresh Air and Excellent Company

My plan was just to hike Fridays through the summer with the kids, but with the smoke in the valley,  the mountain lakes clear,  now free of mosquito's, the perfect temperatures and the changing colors, we just keep going! 
The plan was  Lo and I on Saturday  (Luke was running X-country in Richland. I would've put off until Sunday but the kid also needs a rest day...sad), last minute,  Rick decided to join.  Here's the funny thing about it,  I feel comfortable going on my own with the kids, but the kids are MUCH more comfortable when Rick joins us.  I think Lo actually let out a sigh of relief he was coming.  Just so it's know, I have quizzed Rick endlessly on the possibility of encounters with wild animals, how to handle each situation should it arise, and if we were to run out of drinking water where the safest place to get water would be., but they still would rather have him there!

Our hike of choice was Merritt Lake.  Its a 6 mile RT hike (we explored the other side as well and adds about a half mile), gains 2000feet.  It's rated in Wenatchee Outdoor as a Skill level 2, and fitness level 2. My kids are suckers for the lakes (kind of makes them forget the climb).   The goal of this hike was to spend the day outside with Lo and make it fun for her.  I got her a camera for her birthday  last year, so we took our time taking photos and having snacks the way up.  Her view of the hike was (and she compares everything to Valhalla, because it's been the easiest for her) going up was "not her favorite", but the lake and picnic area were beautiful.  She's a trooper, this hike is questionable for kids her age, but she carried on.  I love her so much, and just cherish my time with her, such a fun day.  (She did take some really awesome photo's I will have her share within the next few days)
Ready to go!  Love you Bella!

A mile up, and into snacks....we do what it takes!

Photogs in action

Something really great about dirty trail runners!

Always good to know we're going the right direction!

Getting closer, and smiling more!

Viola!  I spy a lake

Beautiful girl, beautiful lake and a dog that wants to jump in!

No comments: