Thursday, November 15, 2012

CSA Rundown

My first year with the CSA was a success!  My friend Sarah did it this year as well and I'm curious as to what she thinks.  Both of us got the basic share and had our own gardens.  I plan to do it again next year.  Excellent variety, plenty of stuff Rick and I shared.  It was $400 something for the 6 months, which averaged $22 a week.  My concern was I would have to supplement too often with the stuff we use regularly.  I only supplemented a few times early on with carrots, and later in the season with greens.
I would change up my garden a little bit next year, now that I know what to expect.  First and probably most obvious, I will only plant 2 spaghetti squash plants instead of 4 (I still have 3 squashes left, I love it, but had WAY too much of it).  I will cut back on my greens and instead do a later harvest.  I will plant more carrots, and start them from seeds earlier, I waited too long on those.  Tomatoes and peppers will stay the same.  I plan to grow more basil so I can make and freeze more pesto. And do a pumpkin patch.
My Mom and Dad resurrected my grandparents old garden and from them I received a ton of beans, greens, peppers and really yummy corn.    This was such a great year in produce, felt so good to be growing so much of our own.  Can't say enough positive things about the Farmhouse Table too, every week they were just as excited to give me my goods as I was to get it.  Plus super helpful in suggestions as to how to use it!

No comments: