Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Last One, or so I Thought

Was down to the last of my never ending spaghetti squash, or so I thought.  My mom probably planted the same if not more plants than I (I planted 4, at least 2 too many), my Dad informed me they have a whole box full in the garage. 
Here's what I learned.  They grow like pumpkins and choke out everything else.  My four plants took over one entire raised bed, thank goodness my lettuce grew before them.  Don't let them get huge (remember an earlier picture with Lo and my huge squash), pick them at the desired size and they will ripen up inside later.  They keep great!
My favorite way to cook them was in the microwave, poke holes all over and cook between 2-3 minutes each side, cut in half, scoop out seeds, and begin forking the goods out!
I enjoyed making fresh pesto and mixing it in.  Tried it also with marinar and as  pasta primavera, sauteing zucchini's, onion, tomatoes and carrots, tossing with olive oil and garlic.  The pesto was my personal favorite with some tomatoes. 
guts to the left, forked goods to the right

finished product

No comments: