Thursday, May 29, 2014

Untitled

It's that time of year again, race season. I've done a little soul searching on what I want to accomplish this summer.
Last year my goal was to do an ironman 70.3 (1.25 mile swim, 56 mile bike, and 13.1 mile run). I found a free plan online and with a little guidance from my friend Jason set out to train. I didn't set a time goal until a month out because I didn't know how my body would hold up through the training. I then looked up a gal from Wenatchee's results from the same race to guesstimate my time. She's a faster swimmer, but typically my bike times are faster, run, she's a good runner, but I figured I could make a good effort to be close. She had finished in 6:13 so I set what I thought would be a good goal of 6 hours but knew I would be happy up to 6:20. I enjoyed every bit of that race and came in at 5:43, without putting max effort in, ever. I truly had one of the best times I have ever had racing. This year I thought I would do another, but my summer is packed and was left uninspired to pay the lofty race entry of $260 to do the races that would fit my schedule (have I mentioned the sport of triathlon is EXPENSIVE). If I did one this year it'd be just because I liked it, but to me that's lot to pay just because I like it, so I opted not to. I know I will do one again, but will train harder next time with bigger goals in mind, just not this year.
Instead what I want is to soak in the summer and next year (my sons senior year) with my kids. I want to travel a lot, and would rather my funds go to that (I already sold my TT bike to pay for a trip to Costa Rica). My thinking, and it has been his way for a number of years is, god forbid I were to face my immediate mortality, could I say I had lived the way I wanted to. What would be my regrets. I can honestly say I have accoplmlished all that's important to me in racing, what I would regret is lost opportunities with my children. I do go to bed at night, very satisfied with the way I live my life, and the time spent with my children. I cherish and know they do, the memories we create. Without a doubt they are always my first priority in my life.
This next year will be the last one of just the three of us, at some point next year we will join my little family with Rick (and very excited for that as well), but these last almost four years of just the three of us has been truly special. The circumstance that surrounded my divorce were unfortunate, but ultimately the best thing that ever happened to us. My children and I have created some of the best memories together, whether it be our travels or sitting in the basement watching cheesy shows together, eating dinner every night, doing puzzles,or hiking. I had no idea how much closer we would become. How much more I could appreciate them. I have loved this little life the three of us have created and I will spend the next year just basking in it.
I will race some trail races and maybe one Tri. I will continue to run 3 times a week, ride 100 plus miles a week (in cycling this is actually not as far as it sounds, about 6 hours total time, for me usually 2-hour and a half rides and a three hour ride a week), once the outdoor pool is open swim several miles a week, hike with my kids when we want, and I've started playing tennis again. Basically staying in shape doing just what I want and love.

This is a fun picture from this morning. A couple mornings a week I run Sage with a friend at what we call a&% crack early, 4:30... It's so early but I love it. It's quite, the sun is rising, and I love the trail. I get home with such a high, but the thing I get most excited about when I am done is my cup of coffee, on those mornings it taste even better than usual!

Our view
 
 

No comments: